Love is intoxicating. It makes the world go round. It’s euphoric, it’s magical, it’s addictive in all its glory, it takes over to consume us. Love forces us to see life differently and we react in a manner that’s joyous. Even when we are heartbroken, hurt beyond words, have endured betrayal and loss, we still crave to fall in love. Poets, writers, artists, musicians, and other creative forces thrive on the subject of falling in love. So, what reasons drive us to fall in love? What reasons allows us to give it another try even when the falling has hurt us deeply?
HERE ARE FIVE REASONS PEOPLE FALL IN LOVE:
- LOVE MAKES US WHOLE: It is possible that we are spending our lifetime searching for our other half. When we fall in love, it feels as if we are reuniting with a part of ourselves. We begin to see incredible things because somehow we had been missing them.
- IT CALLS US TO BE THE VERY BEST VERSION OF OURSELVES: “I think that love ushers us to frequencies of human life that we might find difficult to access, otherwise it opens to something more transcendent than the ordinary flow of life, summoning us precisely to a different (and potentially more interesting) edition of ourselves”. In other words, love lifts us to extreme compassion. We are better because of it. The intensity of feeling in love and giving love shapes our personalities to be better humans, elevating us from the mundane to the extraordinary. Nothing is impossible when we are embraced by love’s light
- IT DIMINISHES THE FEAR OF THE WORLD: When we are in love, we feel like we can conquer anything. We are no longer alone holding on through difficult matters. Having a partner makes things easier. Where there is no love there cannot be fear. They cannot live simultaneously. Love is a high vibration frequency. Fear is a lower one. When we fall in love, we let go of anxiety. True love has no limit. In a physiological explanation, fear is driven by cortisol that increases depression while love is driven by oxytocin (the love hormone) which reduces stress and fear. Love simply transcends us into another state of spiritual being. Through the emotions of lust, forgiving, giving, compassion, kindness, empathy, and others, it catapults us to follow our passions.
- INFUSES OUR LIVES WITH MEANING: We are genetically created to share love. Through love, we procreate: We, our children, our spouses, our parents, and our life. Love gives us meaning. Romantic love energizes us with possibilities, dreams and the ever knowing that we can conquer anything. Love clears all obstacles while we submit to its mysticism. A life without love is no life worth living. It cures a broken heart. It forces us to give ourselves when we are lacking strength. It is more than an emotion. It turns us upside-down, right side up, and in circles and all, while feeling the power of trust and faith. Love is there to give. The only thing is to continue exploring it.
- LOVE IS A DRUG: “Falling in love is associated with increased energy, narrowing of mental focus, sometimes sweaty palms, light-headedness, racing heart, and a lot of positive feelings.” There is a physical component that is addictive to the high that comes from falling in love. We are physically wired to want more of it. We crave it and once we’ve experience it we cannot live without it. In its lowest point it causes depression, anxiety, and other withdrawal symptoms similar to hard-core drugs.
Throughout the history of time, we have pondered on love and why we fall into its enticement.