You remember America’s Funniest Videos, right? That 90s homemade video clip show hosted by Bob Saget that mostly featured people falling and pets doing weird things?
Well, guess what? It’s still on ABC, it’s had a slew of hosts in its lifetime (currently Alfonso Ribeiro, otherwise known as Carlton from The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air), and it still features people falling and pets doing weird things.
And my son thinks it’s hilarious.
I was initially hesitant to let him watch it. I didn’t need him getting any ideas about pranks to pull or odd physical feats to attempt. As we began watching it together, though, I found myself laughing right along with him. I will, apparently, never tire of watching people slipping and sliding around on icy driveways. (I’m pretty sure some of the Lifehacker staff thinks this makes me a jerk, but … it’s funny.)
What I realized last night, though, while my son was laughing his way through yet another episode is that AFV is actually a great way to teach what I like to call “Life Lessons.”
In the episode we were watching, there was an entire montage of people on sleds or bikes running into things. In one particularly predictable clip, a kid goes down a snowy hill on a sled … and runs directly into the idiot adult who is standing at the bottom of it. “Well, why would he even stand there?” my son exclaimed through his laughter.
Yes, exactly, son. Do not stand at the bottom of a hill and watch people sled directly at you! That person just learned a Life Lesson.
Other life lessons we have learned from AFV:
- If you ever have braces, don’t open your mouth while lying facedown on the carpet; you could get stuck.
- Hammocks should only be hung outside and low to the ground.
- Helmets are very important.
- You should only jump on trampolines that have protective netting around them. (We’ve told him this, but now he sees why.)
- Feeding squirrels is a bad idea.
- Feeding any animal that is not your pet is a bad idea.
- Don’t turn the treadmill speed up too high. (And always wear the clip that shuts it off in case you stumble.)
- Sledding down stairs? Not a good move.
- Never. Stand. On. A. Dresser.
Incidentally, I just spent a really long time watching AFV clips and laughing hysterically to myself in my empty house. Watching people on an amusement park thrill ride get so freaked out that they pass out and then wake back up and discover they’re still on the ride is just good stuff.
It starts at 7:13. You’re welcome. (Fine, I might be a jerk.)
For more from Lifehacker, be sure to follow us on Instagram @lifehackerdotcom.